Good Morning Grade 10s!
We are so looking forward to meeting you on Tuesday and Wednesday September 1st and 2nd with our special staggered entry this year. Just a reminder that students with last names beginning A-K will come on September 1,3, and 8 and students with last names beginning L-Z will be here September 2, 4, and 9. All students will come from September 10 on.
As you prepare for school next week, here are some of the items you will need:
1. A calculator. Math 10-3 students will use a scientific calculator available at most drug stores, Walmart, etc. Math 10 Prep students will not use a calculator until the end of 1st semester. Math 10C students will need a graphing calculator. Please refer to the attached list (which is also posted on our website under the Grade 9 Orientation tab, click core course information, click list of approved graphing calculators) to see the Alberta Education approved list for graphing calculators before you purchase one. They are available at Walmart, Staples, and most electronics stores. They cost around $150, but students will use them throughout three years of high school math and science. Students should record their serial number and somehow mark the calculator with their names.
2. Binders. We recommend students carry only 1 binder at school (likely a 2" zipper binder) to contain their daily work and pens, pencils, highlighters, etc. We also recommend students have 1 binder at home (at least 2") for each subject to which they will transfer units as they are completed. This way students are not jamming their school binder full of all subjects causing organizational issues. And all work in each subject area is clearly organized to facilitate studying for final exams.
3. Dividers. Students can use these to organize their subjects in their school binder and also to organize their units in their subject binders at home.
4. Various pens, pencils, highlighters, erasers, white out, etc.
5. Gym strip for PE and/or Fitness class. Any change of clothing will do - shorts, t-shirts, leggings, sweats - but students MUST change.
6. Inside athletic shoes for PE/Fitness.
7. Our option classes - Construction, Fabrication, Art, Photography, Foods, Sports Med, etc - all provide the necessary equipment and materials to students. In Fashion Studies, students will need to purchase their own material, but Mrs. Greep will lead them through that process at the appropriate time.